Saturday, August 1, 2015

8/1/2015: Happy Birthday to Francis Scott Key!

Happy Birthday to Francis Scott Key!

The author of the “Star-Spangled Banner” was born in Frederick County, Maryland in 1779.  During the War of 1812, on September 13–14, 1814 he watched Fort McHenry being bombed by the British forces in the Battle of Baltimore.  In the morning, Key could see that the American flag was still flown over Fort McHenry, showing that the Americans had not lost possession of it. The inspired Key’s to write a poem, which became “The Star-Spangled Banner”   

My first grade Level I reader  Francis Scott Key and The Star-Spangled Banner: First Grade - Level I Reader gives students the interesting background of the United States national anthem "The Star-Spangled Banner".   Francis Scott Key and the American Flag are also featured in my First Grade Level I – Set 2 book set.


No comments:

Post a Comment